Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sandwich day!

The sandwich is a subtle art form. There are few who respect it and even fewer who are truly masters.
Today we went to visit the legendary Salumi to see if the sandwich kings and foodies call the best in the world really exists.
A brief history: Salumi is owned and operated by Mario Batalli's dad and family. It is an italian sub/meat shop open only a few hours a day, a few days a week, where all of the meats are cured in the store, and their cheeses and breads are made fresh and local.
The shop is the size of your closet with meats hanging from the ceiling and a queue outside and around the corner to get in.
And having eaten there today I can see why.
Nom!
I consider myself a student of the sandwich, and I could write my masters thesis at Salumi. The meat was singularly unique, the mozzarella smoothy sweet, grilled peppers and onions mingled with delicate tapenades, on fresh baked bread the size of your face. It was sandwich nirvana.
Also, it was Greta's first trip downtown!


And although she only had milks for lunch, I would like to think that some of today's sandwich was appreciated by her, and that we have made life long friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greta looks like she had a blast! I've heard of that shop, from the food network channel. Now I want to go too! Yum! I love her big chat with Kent! Our Greta-Girl is one sweet, precious and perfect little baby.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Darn you Deli Meat!!! I know and feel your pain now, Skirst...no meats for me. :( BOO! It's amazing how much you will start craving something when you're not supposed to have it! Sheesh. I just want a good turkey sandwich. Seriously. But alas...I will not, for the sake of the wee-one within. Speaking of "wee-one"...Greta is SO sweet. I love her little face and she just looks like she has such a cute personaility. I really want to meet her sometime. Soon, hopefully.

I love you, you know.

-Juice