Monday, May 18, 2009

Toes, Tarts, and Type 1 Diabetes

What a great weekend! You know those days that can sum up happy times and bookmark happy seasons years down the road? Well, our sunny weekend was kind of like that. We didn't sleep much but we had enough fun to make up for that. There was gorgeous weather, beautiful mountains, steaks grilling, a happy baby, and happy family around to share it all.
And so many victories!
Saturday mornings at our house usually are characterized by what we call "Kent-speriments". There is something about Saturday that stirs the Susie Homemaker in Kent, and within our first waking hour he has a 9 fingers marked with things he would like to cook/plant/or make. He usually asks me first because in the past they have had Hiroshima like results, and it's just nice to ask the person you are living with if they are ok with setting off a bomb in the house.
Usually, I help pare his ideas down to one or two or three...and Kent scrambles out of bed like a man on a mission.
Last week (and the week before) it was bagels, homemade jalapeno bites, and skyline chili. This week it was Strawberry Rhubarb Tarts,
Limeade, and Grilled Pizza.
All of which were huge successes and gave new honor to the term "Kent-speriments". They also made me consider throwing in the towel and hand the title Homemaker to Kent as I skulked away to find a job for us. But we go to MH, so I thought otherwise and instead I relished in the knowledge that I was married to the perfect man and languidly asked for sliced strawberries in my limeade as I strewn myself upon the couch.
Then there were toes!
Greta discovered 10 of the tastiest little treats in her little world! And we were so proud.
Sunday was our Beat the Bridge for Diabetes run.
We had originally planned to bring the Barley however, when we decided to bus it to UW at 6:30 am we thought it might be easier for all involved to leave Greta with grandpa and go out footloose and stroller free.
It was a great event! There were over 10,000 runners and tons of family and friends doing the family 4-miler event.
Our team did the walk, and have decided to do the 8k next year. It was a gorgeous day and such a great cause. All the money we raised is actually funding the research study Meg is participating in at UW. So, thank you everyone who donated! It's making a difference in Meg's life and so many others.
Also Sunday, I got to go to a rare treat for a mom. A movie! In a theatre! The award winning Kent of Kent-speriment fame offered to watch Greta so dad and I could go see Star Trek together. My Star Trek past has been closeted for years, but I have been recently emboldened by the great production quality of this lastest installment and have found comfort once again in monologue of "Space the final frontier..."
It was awesome! and I am prepared to face the consequences of my choices. Around Redmond nerds run rampant and if I must I will make new friends who think Spock is cute and are also dreaming of careers in Starfleet.
Lastly, Greta turned 21 weeks this weekend and will be officially 5 months on Wednesday!
She is growing so fast. This morning I witnessed her making a fast break for it as she triple rolled herself across the floor. Much like you would see James Bond do to escape an oncoming train. And just last night she got the hang of the whole food/cereal thing and is actually eating semi solids! But most importantly she's my happiest little baby. I think she has enjoyed herself this weekend too.

3 comments:

Meghan M. said...

She looks so cute in that shirt! Eeeee! Love you all. Meg

Anonymous said...

She just looks so sweet and happy. Just like her Mommy. I can't wait to meet her!

-Juice

Anonymous said...

Kirstie, The missing pictures my computer couldn't see have now appeared. Oh my goodness how cute our Greta girl is! She looks more like you lately! I love how she tucks her lips in.
Love you,
Mom