Tuesday, October 28, 2008

'Here we go a pumpkining'...




...'Among the leaves so orange!'
So, this weekend we gathered our fall spirit up and went a-pumpkining! What could be better than a fun afternoon in the park gutting and carving large vegetables, drinking cider, and of eating Halloween candy?
I submit that there is nothing.



The boys had a HOOGE pumpkin so they teamed up on one together. They were very proud of their handy work. Even now Kent's is propped up by our front door with a rock under it to give it a better showing. It is a scene of wolves howling at the moon.
When I discovered his initial design plans, I had imaginings of us all left howling at the moon as Kent meticulously carved his pumpkin with a knife the size of a hair pin. He is known in our parts for his astounding attention detail, and consequently for being the slowest ever.
However, it was I who was the last to finish carving.
Mostly because I spent my time eating candy, but also I was deliberating over all the design possibilities. Would I try and make a political statement? Or something that would make all the little trick or treaters stop and consider the preciousness and brevity of life? Or maybe I would just settle for something so funny they must puke up their Whoppers.
In the end I decided on a harmless little heart with leaves, giving an overall impression of a tramp stamp. As typical Skirst, I decided it was too much work to think through and eating would be more fun.
The day ended with us all lined up like proud parents holding our orange young.

And then fake smashing them.

Happy October everyone!

2 comments:

Kent Walter said...

"He is known in our parts for his astounding attention detail, and consequently for being the slowest ever."

I approve this message. It's kind of true. "Astounding" may be a little too charitable, but "slowest ever" is right on. :)

Anonymous said...

FUUUN! I love pumpkins. I especially love that you did outdoor pumpkin carving. Brilliant. I miss Washington. For various reasons.

PS...you look adorable! Your hair is getting long since I saw you last, those prenatal vitamins are awesome! :)

-Juice