Sunday, October 5, 2008

Moving in...

It smells like curry and cardboard down here.
I am sitting amongst a pile of my possessions, writing instead of sleeping because yesterday we moved into our new place (Our Barley's first place!) and my mind is too full of the things needed to be done.
For example...this unwelcome smell. The tenants before us seemed to have had an affection for curry and it haunts my very sleep. Of course I am the only one that can smell it because I am prego and my smeller is particularly keen now. So I burn candles like a devout Catholic, (only my candles smell fantastic) and do laundry in hopes to bring about the familiar scent we have left behind at our old home or as Kent affectionately called it "The Shoe box" or "Tooth"....for it was the size of one.
Our new home is much older and loaded with character. We are thrilled at the added square footage, but there is a lot to get used to and I have not quite accepted it as my friend yet. It is a little wonky. I am still suspiciously opening drawers and drawing up an eyebrow at the dishwasher's suspicious ways.
I am still mulling over the possibility of whether or not our house is trying to poison us either with black mold hidden in it's bowels or if it is planning to lull us into a false state of relaxation at which time it will crumble in on us like a house of cards to the ruin of everything, leaving us with only a cloud of dust to pay rent on.
I have just a few things like this to sort out. Also where to put all our stuff.
Our friends have been so awesome helping us get everything off of the truck and into it's proper place. And of course Kent has been an absolute hero making sure I don't lift anything heavy and take my breaks and naps. He takes good care of his girls.
All in all we have been incredibly blessed. We have our work cut out for us for a little while but fiddle-dee-dee I love these kinds of challenges, and soon our little Barley is going to come home here and the real fun will begin!......but first something must be done about this smell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an unfortunate mixture of smells. Your poor little prego sniffer. Just think, soon you will have Greta's sweet little head to smell and perhaps you wont notice the cardboard curry lurking. :)

Regardless of the slight smelly issue it is super exciting that you are officially in the Barley's first home! Hooray:) I can't wait to come visit (I promise I wont mention my craving for Indian Food upon entering your home! hehehe)

I love you, you know.

-Juice